Verification of Lawful Presence in the United States
In accordance with Board of Regents Policy 4.3.4, all applicants who are accepted for admission or readmission to North Georgia College & State University for Fall 2011, or any academic semester thereafter, and who seek to be classified as in-state for tuition paying purposes, will be required to provide validation of residency and lawful presence in both the State of Georgia and the United States.
United States citizens and permanent residents who seek in-state tuition must provide one of the following documents. Note that we will currently accept copies of all documents except a current military ID or the certified U.S. birth certificate. Please note that http://www.vitalchek.com provides instructions for ordering a certified U.S. birth certificate.
- A Certified U.S. Birth Certificate showing the student was born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory. A photocopy is not acceptable. Also, please note that we will place this document in your admissions file and will be unable to return it to you.
- U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570).
- U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561).
- U.S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (DS-1350) or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240).
- A current U.S. Passport.
- A current Driver's License issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008.
- A current ID issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008.
- A current military ID for service member only, not dependent. A photocopy is not acceptable.
- A current, valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form I-151 or I-551).
North Georgia is currently required to verify the lawful presence of in-coming students who have not provided one of the above documents and seek to be classified for in-state tuition with one of the following methods:
- Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) Program if you do not have a current F or J visa.
- SEVIS for non-citizens possessing an F or J visa.
Applicants who are not United States citizens and not permanent residents and seek to be classified for in-state tuition must provide the following:
- A current copy of your visa and I-94; if you have a current Employment Authorization Card please include a copy of it with your documents.