An undergraduate applicant admitted as a non-degree student is allowed to earn up to 12 semester hours from selected courses. Students who have earned a bachelors degree should apply and meet the requirements for a Post-Baccalaureate non-degree seeking student (See: Undergraduate applicants with a bachelor degree). Students may not enroll in any course for which there is a learning support prerequisite unless they have been screened for and have exempted the relevant learning support course. Students are advised to check course prerequisites and descriptions carefully and to consult with an academic advisor prior to registering for courses. The following courses are approved for non-degree undergraduate students: ACCT 2101, ACCT 2102, ART 1100, ART 1010, ART 2510, ART 2520, ART 2530, ASTR 1010, ASTR 1010L, ASTR 1020, ASTR 1020L, BIOL 1010, BIOL 1010L, BIOL 1260, BIOL 1260L, CHEM 1151, CHEM 1151L, CHEM 1152, CHEM 1152L, CRJU 1100, CSCI 1100, CSCI 1150, FILM 2000, FILM 2700, FILM 3100, FILM 3300, FREN 1001, GEOL 1644K, GERO 3081, GERO 3381, GRMN 1001, HIST 2111, HIST 2112, INTL 2200, MILS 1000, MILS 1100, MILS 2000, MILS 2100, MILS 2200, MUSC 1100, all 1000-2000 level music courses, NURS 1020, NURS 3330, PHED 1000, all physical education one-hour activity courses, POLS 1101, PSYC 1101, PSYC 3181, SOCI 1101, SOCI 3481, SPAN 1001 and THEA 2500. Non-degree students may enroll in courses not included on this list with the permission of the department head, dean and Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs.
A student who wishes to apply as a non-degree student at North Georgia must submit the following:
- Application for Undergraduate Admission with the non-refundable application fee.
- Official transcript from the degree-granting institution verifying the awarding of a bachelor's degree.
- Students who have not yet earned a bachelor's degree, must submit an official high school transcript.
- Proof of lawful presence in the United States if seeking in-state tuition. Applicants who have been granted permanent U.S. residency must submit proof of permanent residency.
- Applicants seeking F-1 or J-1 visas must complete the International Student Application and meet international requirements.
- Prior to enrolling a student must submit a North Georgia Certificate of Immunization showing proof of immunization as required by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia. The immunization form should be submitted to Student Health Services office.
- A completed North Georgia Medical Report (for Cadets only).
Accepted, non-degree students who plan to take a class but do not want to receive academic credit can audit the class. No academic or degree credit shall be awarded for audited classes. These students must get approval from the class professor prior to registration, contact the Office of Admissions to request that their record be changed to "auditor," and contact the Registrar's Office during registration. Auditing students are required to meet admission requirements listed for non-degree applicants. Students registered to audit classes shall be required to pay the regular tuition and fees for enrollment.