Following the Civil War, the abandoned U.S. Mint property was given to the state of Georgia for educational purposes, thus the birth of what is now North Georgia College & State University. Originally named North Georgia Agricultural College, the institution was established in 1873 as a land-grant school of agriculture and mechanical arts, particularly mining engineering. As area gold mining resources were depleted and agricultural education was assumed by the University of Georgia, the mission of North Georgia evolved into one emphasizing arts and sciences. The school was renamed North Georgia College in the summer of 1929. The institution received university status in 1996 and was given the name North Georgia College & State University.